There is no prouder moment than when you first open your business and have your signage installed, but over the years, other responsibilities take precedence. Retail signage tends to be put on the back burner. It may not seem like a top priority, but your retail signage is a significant part of your marketing strategy. There comes a time when you need to update old indoor and outdoor retail signage to make a bigger impact. As hard as it can be to move on and update your old signs, it is important to market your business in a way that attracts customers and speaks to what you sell.
Signage is a Cost-Effective Marketing Tool
10 Reasons to Get New Signage for Your Retail Business
Signage is a Cost-Effective Marketing Tool
Signs are a great way to catch potential customers' attention and bring in their business. You don’t need to spend an excessive amount of money to utilize signs as part of your marketing strategy. Clear and visible outdoor retail signage guides customers to your business, while straightforward indoor signs help direct customers to different areas around the store and alert them of ongoing sales or promotions.
Digital signs are one of the most affordable options for businesses because they can be constantly updated without having to purchase new materials. As long as your digital signage stays in good shape, you can update them as frequently as needed. Indoor signs will usually last longer because they are not exposed to the elements, although promotional signs may need to be changed out more often to reflect current sales.
RELATED: UNIQUE TYPES OF SIGNAGE
10 Reasons to Update the Retail Signage for Your Business
There are many reasons why you should update your retail signage, and all of them lead to more foot traffic, increased profits, and better customer relations.
1. Your signs are out-of-date. If your sign has been the same for many years, it can often be ignored by those who drive or walk by it daily. Over the years, business information could change, including hours of operation or phone numbers. Updating your sign ensures your customers know how and where to reach you.
2. Your signs are no longer visible. In some cases, an outdoor sign that was once clearly visible can become blocked by new construction, newer signs, or tree growth. Your sign is not effectively marketing your business if your customers cannot see it.
3. Your signs are broken or damaged. A broken sign reflects poorly upon your business and turns customers away. A sign with visible damage looks unprofessional and doesn’t set a good tone for your business. It can often deter customers from trying your store. You will need to fix the damage, or you may need to install a completely new sign.
4. Your signs no longer reflect what you sell. Maybe your business once sold only one type of product, but you have since expanded your product line. Maybe your retail business includes other types of offerings, including services or support. Your signage, both indoor and out, should accurately reflect your offerings and make it easy for customers to understand.
5. Your signs don’t guide your customers. If you have a larger business with several departments or areas within your store, you want customers to feel welcomed and able to find their way around. A lost customer is not a happy customer. Updating your indoor signage to easily market your products and provide a friendly customer experience is imperative.
6. Your signs don’t match your brand. Rebranding is quite common, and many businesses will rebrand to attract more customers, refresh their look, or more accurately reflect their offerings. Older signs with outdated logos or old colors may not match the branding that you currently have. Brand awareness and brand loyalty go a long way, so your signage should always advertise the correct brand.
7. Your signs need a refresh. Maybe your branding is still on point, but the colors are faded and dull on your signs, or the design trends don’t match what is popular today. A sign refresh ensures that your aesthetic remains intact, and it is a simple way to bring in more foot traffic.
RELATED: LARGE FORMAT PRINTING: HOW TO GET YOUR OUTDOOR SIGNAGE SET UP
8. Your signs are cluttered. It can often feel like we have to include everything and the kitchen sink to let consumers know what they can get from us. The issue arises when signage becomes cluttered and disorganized. A cluttered sign is hard to read and can easily frustrate those who are trying to decipher it.
9. Your signs are unclear. It doesn’t matter if you have an awesome design for your signs, if the business name and information are not clearly stated, your customers will get frustrated and will be less likely to frequent your business. Simple and clear is the best.
10. Your signs aren’t compliant. Depending on local regulations, your signs may need to meet specific requirements. The accessible spaces within your store, including parking, restrooms, and elevators, should be clearly marked in compliance with ADA regulations. While these types of signs don’t directly market your business, they make your customers feel welcome in your store, and that is just as important.
Here’s Your Sign
The specialists at Ironmark are ready to discuss all of your signage needs. We can sit down with you to discuss the most effective signs that meet your budget and help you achieve your long and short-term goals. Whether you need large format design ideas or help to decide what signage suits your business best. We’ve got you!