Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) is an effective print marketing technique, and extremely practical during a pandemic. Marketers can use EDDM to get their brand or campaign message out to a broad audience. The cost-effective and highly targeted nature of EDDM makes it a great marketing tool that bolsters your efforts, transcends your competition, and meets your marketing objectives. But let's go deeper - how exactly can EDDM benefit your particular strategy?;What Is Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM)?
Every Door Direct Mail, aka EDDM, is a USPS program that allows local businesses to use direct mail to reach a specific geographic location without a mail list, standard addresses, or other mail-related information needed for delivery. Instead, demographic data is used to target print pieces to customers in a selected city, town, neighborhood, carrier route, or ZIP code.
According to the USPS, EDDM has led to over 20 billion pieces of mail and more than $3 billion earned in revenue. The size of the mailpiece must be greater than 6 1/8” x 11” but less than 12” x 15” and the weight should be no more than 3.3 ounces.
EDDM campaigns appeal to small business marketers who want simplicity and affordability in their direct mail campaigns. If your market is a local “trade area” where your business is the central point, like a gym or restaurant, EDDM makes sense. For example, a cost-efficient way for restaurants to gain exposure is to use EDDM in the form of postcards (sent to local neighborhoods) that feature appetizing displays of their food and fun customer incentives, such as coupons or specials.
What else does EDDM offer businesses?
- Effortless Local Area Marketing: With EDDM, you can easily market to your local audience. The mail carrier will deliver your campaign or brand message to every household in the targeted local area on the drop date. EDDM is also ideal for political campaigns, allowing a candidate or political party to send their message to every constituent.
- Postal Permit Not Required: Unlike standard direct mail campaigns, EDDM mailings between 200 and 5,000 pieces do not typically require a postal permit, which saves you money. However, the postal service can provide a permit, if you require, that could ensure that your EDDM materials are not mailed and combined with mass mailings.
- Customer Incentives: EDDM can provide discount offers to customers, which helps to both bring in new customers and bolster retention. If you are running a shoe or skincare campaign, for example, you could offer discounts or coupons that customers can redeem.
- Cost-Effective: According to the USPS, EDDM retail marketing flats are $0.192 per piece and EDDM BMEU marketing mail flats are $0.164 per piece. The low postage rate of EDDM, coupled with marketers using software to design colorful and captivating brochures or postcards, means that EDDM can effectively reach and engage your target audience.
PURLS and Variable Data Printing
One of the biggest drawbacks of EDDM is the lack of personalized mailing. Since personal addresses are not used for mailing, the chance to personalize the messaging (or track the results) is often neglected. However, variable data printing (VDP) and personalized URLs (PURLS) can be used in EDDM campaigns. You should try to boost engagement with your local audiences through EDDM pieces, and use personalized print pieces that include elements like the customer’s name, make mention of a previous purchase, or extend an invitation to come in store to try a new product or be a part of a promotional event. You can use personalized URLs on the individual print pieces to track online engagement as well, to better understand who responds to and engages with your EDDM campaign.
Discount codes are a growing trend in EDDM. Local customers tend to be drawn to coupons, discounts, and special offers. A recent Statista survey revealed that 32% of respondents had scanned a QR code in one week. QR codes engage customers and entice them to take action. QR codes integrate seamlessly into both the digital and print worlds, where they can be used to direct your target market to your company website.
Other Trends Include:
- Eye-catching designs that feature unique patterns, bold colors, interesting graphics, and fine angles.
- Concise, crisp, and error-free content that has bold text with interesting font styles.
- Detailed contact info with multiple numbers, store address, website details, and the point of contact’s name.
Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) is a viable tool to make part of your print marketing strategy. You can reach and engage a wider local target market and bolster local presence. In the process, you’ll save money and time. Your marketing needs must evolve to meet the new customer demands. So if you want to get started with EDDM, contact Ironmark’s direct mail experts today. We’re ready to get the presses working for you.