The world is slowing down because of the pandemic, usually you're super busy and there isn't time to get to everything you may want to. But now your business might be experiencing a shift in how it conducts business because of COVID-19 and it's likely that you and your marketing team have more time on your hands. This doesn't have to be a bad thing. Take this time to make sure your marketing strategy is right on point. Here are four big marketing tasks that you've been putting off, and why you need to complete them during this unprecedented downtime!
1. Give Your Company's Website a Facelift
It's easy for your website to get placed on the back burner when you're trying to get a million other tasks done each day. It would be nice if you could create a website and leave it to do its thing without having to worry about it again but that's not how websites work! Technology, and the world of the internet, change at lightning speed. Regular updates are important to keep your site relevant to search engines and appealing to your visitors. Now is the time to really dive into your website and bring it back to life. Here are potential issues to look for:
Dead or broken links send the user an error 404 page instead of redirecting them to the desired content. This results in frustration for the user who will quickly decide to visit a competitor's site in the hopes of a better experience, meaning you've lost a follower on your website. Check all links and correct those that do not send users to the desired page.
Lack of Mobile Device Compatibility
More people use their mobile devices to search the web than they do desktop computers. If your website is not optimized for mobile devices, then you are alienating a large sector of your target audience. For example, if the company home page doesn't fit all on one screen, buttons are hard to click, or certain features do not work well on a mobile device, then it is a dead giveaway that your website is not optimized for mobile use.
Web users are becoming more and more conscientious about safety on the internet. If your website doesn't have an SSL certificate, then it is not secure. Many browsers will alert users that the site they intend to visit is not secure and prompt them to exit. Also, search engines are more likely to omit your website from the results page if it doesn't have an SSL certificate. Simply incorporate an SSL certificate into your website and visitors can browse with confidence.
2. Bring Your Marketing Materials Out of the Past
Take a good look at the marketing materials your company is currently using. Are they no longer really relevant? Are they not striking the right tone with everything that is going on in the world right now? Maybe you've changed logos, or even your company motto. All of your marketing materials should reflect this and be consistent across all platforms. These are the areas where you should pay the most attention:
- Website - An out-of-date website will decrease your company's credibility.
- Blog Content - Create buyer personas in order to develop a blog content strategy that resonates with your target audience.
- Social Media - If you aren't on social media you need to be!
- Stationary - Great for office unity and as an advertisement method.
- Invoices - Make sure every invoice that goes out has your updated logo and business information.
- Flyers & Brochures - Update your flyers and brochures to make sure they are representative of what your company offers today.
- Apparel - Branded hats, t-shirts, and uniforms are a great way to bring your staff together, and they act as passive advertisement.
3. Conduct a Brand Audit
Your company's brand is the cornerstone of its success. The purpose of a brand audit is to understand the effect of your message on your target audience and identify its strengths and weaknesses. This allows you to determine where improvements need to be made so that you can have the maximum impact on current and potential consumers. Look at these 3 areas when conducting a brand audit:
- Internal Branding - Your company's values, mission, and culture.
- External Branding - Your company's logo, website, and additional physical and digital marketing materials.
- Visitor Experience - What kind of experience does your website offers visitors who land on your company's page?
What Should a Brand Audit Achieve?
- Understanding how your target audience views your brand - Does your brand have a positive, negative, or indifferent effect on your audience? The need for a makeover could be because the logo and message are not invoking the intended emotions, or because they are outdated.
- Blend all of the right elements to make a stunning design - Some people are visual learners, while others are auditory. Your brand should be the perfect combination of typography, messaging, images, and color.
4. Begin Training Opportunities
Finally, this is a great time to offer training opportunities to your marketing team. Effective marketing and branding is a team effort that requires the participation of the entire marketing department. In compliance with social distancing recommendations, hold virtual meetings. Make sure your team is on the same page when it comes to the direction of your company, and delegate a way to strengthen the company's brand to each staff member. Here are some great training opportunities your team can take advantage of:
- Google Analytics Certification - Industry-recognized certification in digital analytics.
- Google Adwords Certification - Professional accreditation that demonstrates proficiency in basic and advanced aspects of Google Ads.
- Copyblogger Certified Content Marketer - Participants complete a training module at which time they submit written samples which then must be approved for quality before certification is granted.
These are just a few of the many training opportunities open to your team that can help improve your company's overall marketing strategy during these uncertain times.
Partner with the Marketing Experts
Ironmark understands the importance of effective marketing to the success of your company. We are your one-stop-shop for all things marketing. Our experts can help you redesign your website, reinvent your brand, provide you with state-of-the-art branded promotional items, and so much more. During these uncertain times, marketing is more important than ever and one of the most worthwhile investments you can make is in your company. Contact us today and let's make sure your company's marketing efforts are right on target!